Types of Commercial Drivers Licenses

Class A CDL

In the United States, a Class A (CDL) license allows the driver to operate any vehicle with a semi-trailer or trailer with two or more axles. This also includes any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 26,000 pounds (provided that the GVWR of the towed vehicle is more than 10,000 pounds). A Class A CDL is required for drivers towing trailers with more than 10,000 pounds. This license also allows the driver to operate Class B and C vehicles.

Class B CDL

A Class B (CDL) license allows drivers to operate a vehicle with a weight greater than 26,000 pounds, as well as any vehicle towing a trailer that does not exceed a weight of 10,000 pounds. A Class B CDL is required for drivers towing trailers with less than 10,000 pounds. Drivers with a Class B license can operate Class C vehicles, but not Class A vehicles. These drivers are be able to operate straight trucks, box trucks (like delivery trucks), large buses (such as school buses and city buses, and tourist buses), and dump trucks with small trailers.

Class C CDLL

The Class C CDLL license allows drivers to operate a vehicle that is designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver). It also includes vehicles used in the transportation of materials classified as hazardous in the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act. Those approved for this license may drive passenger vans, small HAZMAT vehicles, and combination vehicles not described in Class A or Class B.

Matheson Drivers

Matheson truck drivers are required to hold a Class A (CDL) license to operate Matheson tractor/trailers. Matheson is currently hiring near you!

Visit drivematheson.com to learn more.